Tuesday 6 May 2014

Day 460 - How To Marry The Darkness pt. 2

It was a slow afternoon. Most of it spent talking with ghosts. Music was playing. I was grinning with a hatred so hard you could have snapped it in two. Outside the sky had lowered a mile and rain fell in large warm drops, big and luscious, a single one could have slaked a family of mice for week. More importantly my ears were blocked. I boiled coffee and bent my head over the steam to loosen things up but nothing moved. 
Every minute I found myself looking up at the office door expecting it to swing back and welcome the shadow of something new and sinister. Nothing did. 
I considered how some don’t like surprises, they need a manual for getting out of bed in the morning. I was only happy with the unknown at the door, the bits of my life falling about me. 
 I fanned myself with my Rolodex and listened to a thunder wander back and fourth. Outside the billboards lit up in the gloom.
I lay down on my cot and slept till early evening. The image of a blond with a snakes body floated towards me in the darkness like a drowned corpse in a midnight pool. I woke with rain splattering my face. The window was wide on it’s hinges. A hot wind was swirling about the room rich with the scent of the wet street. I breathed a mouthful, fastened the window and lay down again listening to the cars roll by in the rain. I lay there one eye fastened to the dark obelisk of the door, nausea rife in my stomach, a big wide grin on my face.

No comments: